Henderson and Her Improvements in the Last Ten Years

The railroad has been extended from the depot to the river, and an embankment thrown up nearly three-quarters of a mile, at a cost of $10,000.

It has erected a round house and machine shop with a 30-horse power engine attached, carpenter shop 50 by 100 feet and 20 feet high, blacksmith shop 40 by 40 and 14 feet high; paint shop 60 by 100, with the capacity for 74 coaches. The buildings cost $13,000, the machinery $4,000; were built in 1871-72.

The hoist cost $4,500, and is one of the only three in the United States; capacity 100 cars per day. Total cost of all, $31,500.

Since the L&N have had possession there has been one mile of track laid in and around the yards of steel rails, at a cost of $2,000, and their new wharf boat, placed at the railroad landing in January 1880, cost $7,000.

They employ now in and around Henderson 42 men, at an average of $1.75 per day each.

In 1875 the new passenger depot was built. It is a handsome two-story frame containing five offices in the second story and two waiting rooms below, and cost $2,000.

The freight depot, built in 1873, 75 by 200 feet, cost $1,200.

Henderson Reporter
February 26, 1880

Reprinted with Permission

Contributed by Netta Mullin, HCH&GS
Copyright 2007 HCH&GS