Henderson County, Kentucky Community
Although East End residents are vague as to geographic lines that separate Audubon, Audubon Heights and Weaverton, farmers from the southern portion of the county knew Weaverton well from the 1870s until relatively recent times.
George Vogel started a general merchandise business in 1871; had a watering trough for the horses and refreshment for the farmer. In later years, two coal mines were opened, corn bins and a stockyard were built, so the farmer could exchange produce for necessities. Many times the "trip to town" stopped in Weaverton.
The Weaverton Milling Co. was formed in 1911 and in 1913 the Weaverton Lumber Company succeeded Ambrose Lumber Yards. The Kleymeyer Brickyards (1868) might be considered part of Weaverton, if Clay Street is accepted as the boundary, although Henry Kleymeyer's house was on a hill overlooking Audubon.
The old Weaverton grade school (east of Atkinson Street, off Pringle) existed as far back as 1889 and was torn down in 1916 or 1918. Both it and the old Audubon School were in the county system.
In 1903 the Coquillard Wagon Works moved from South Bend, IN to its new plant in Weaverton, built right over the swimming hole the Vogel boys had been using. When local merchants and others bought stock, the name was changed to Henderson Wagon Works and 600 horse-drawn wagons were produced annually, until the money panic of 1913-14 caused Sears, Roebuck Co. to stop buying them. Later it was used by Heinz Cannery and Atlas Tack Co.
from The Annals and Scandals of Henderson County, Ky.