Henderson County, Kentucky Community
Poole is a small town located on the boundary between Henderson and Webster counties, with approximately one third of its residents living in Henderson County and its businesses serving the farmers in the southern part of this county.
In 1826, when John Poole came from Nelson County to settle this unoccupied land, it was a part of Henderson County. He soon built a horse-powered grist mill, giving the place its name, "Poole's Mill". He had four sons: one became a millwright, one an innkeeper, one a blacksmith and one a storekeeper. The inn was known as the "16-mile House", indicating its distance from Henderson. The storekeeper son, William, became postmaster in 1855. In 1889, when his daughter, Clarissa Jane, became postmistress, the name was still "Poole's Mill" but some time later was shortened to "Poole". William also operated a brick kiln on the lot where the post office now stands.
Between 1880 and 1902, Poole had four tobacco factories, employing from 100 to 125 men. The tobacco leaves were prised here and taken to the railroad at Corydon or Henderson and shipped directly to England.
In 1894, the citizens of Poole organized an independent telephone exchange, building their own lines, boxes and exchange, and operating it until 1907. A Masonic Lodge was organized in 1896 and five years later its sister organization, the Eastern Star, became on of the oldest chapters in Kentucky.
Unlike most small towns, Poole has not lost ground: its population is at its highest level; it still has a bank, post office, two groceries, a restaurant, electrical appliance and repair service, ceramic and antique shops and the Poole Milling Company sells more farm supplies than Poole's Mill ever did.