Brave Confederate Soldier
Passes Away At Home In

Major Manning Marius KIMMEL, died suddenly at his home, corner Fifth and Green Streets, this city, Sunday morning at 10 o'clock. Major KIMMEL had been up town and had reached his front gate returning home when he was suddenly stricken with cerebral hemorrhage and died a few minutes after being carried into his home.

He had been complaining of a pain in his breast for a few days, but it was not thought to be serious. One night last week while on his way up town with his son, S. H. KIMMEL, he complained of being ill and returned home. After reaching the house he said he felt better and had not been heard to complain again until early Sunday morning. He was up and dressed early Sunday and made his usual visit up town. He was just reaching his front gate when stricken and fell to the pavement. Mr. McAHAN who works at the Callender grocery across the street saw him fall and rushed to his assistance. Other men passing at the time notified the family and Drs. QUINN and WILSON were summoned, both arriving shortly before he died.

Major KIMMEL was born in Perry County, MO., October the 25 th , 1832, and was past 83 at the time of his death. He was married December 28, 1868 to Miss Sibbella LAMBERT, who survives him. Besides his wife he is survived by seven children, Singleton H. KIMMEL, J. Lambert KIMMEL, Misses Polly, Fannie and Sibbella KIMMEL, all of this city, and Lieut. H. E. KIMMEL, U.S.N. now with the Pacific fleet, and Lieut. Manning M. KIMMEL, Jr., now stationed at Fort DeRusse, Honolulu. Also two sisters, Mrs. Julia M. GREEN, of St. Louis, Missouri, and Mrs. William A. POINTER of Dallas, Texas.

Funeral Services were conducted over the remains from the late residence on Green and Fifth Streets Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock, by Dr. Thomas CUMMINS, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, and the interment was in the family lot in Fernwood Cemetery. The burial was private, attended only by members of the family.

Major KIMMEL graduated with honors from West Point in the class of 1857, and saw active service in fighting Indians in Texas and other Western States. In 1861 he assisted in the defense of Washington, D.C., after the battle of Bull Run, but resigned from the Federal service and joined the Confederate army in the same year. He served on the staff of General Sterling PRICE, in Missouri, Generals VAN DORN and McGRIDER in Tennessee.

After the close of the Civil War he went to Mexico and worked as a civil engineer on the Mexico City and Vera Cruz railroad. He then returned to the States and was employed from 1874 to 1884 as superintendent for the St. Bernard Mining Company at St. Charles, Kentucky. Resigning his position with this company in 1884 he returned to Henderson, where he has resided continuously since. Notwithstanding his advanced age Major KIMMEL was active until the last and his sudden taking away came as a great shock to members of the family and friends in the city and throughout the country.

Most likely The Gleaner, February 28, 1916

Contributed by Gary Flowers

Copyright 2005 HCH&GS