HISTORIC FARMS NOMINATED FOR INCLUSION ON THE NATIONAL REGISTER OF
HISTORIC PLACES, 27 SEP 2000
BENVENUE, also known as the William SOAPER farm. The oldest
portions of the house may date as far back as 1808, but it wasn't until
William SOAPER acquired the farm in 1834 that the house began to
assume its current proportions. The house is classified as Greek Revival,
but originally began life as a log cabin. There are 14 other structures
on the farm that contribute to its historic status, including an impressive
mule barn built in 1925 after fire destroyed the older barns. The farm
encompasses about 519 acres, but only 148 acres are being nominated. The
farm is currently owned by Maxwell H. SOAPER, Marianna SOAPER
and Richard H. SOAPER, Jr.
JACKSON-IJAMES FARM, like the Benvenue, is also classified as Greek
Revival. It dates back to 1854, when it was constructed by J. E. JACKSON.
It is located on the site of Tallmadge, a town that was envisioned as
the heart of a silk manufacturing industry in 1829. That venture failed
about 1840. The farm currently includes about 273 acres, but only 188
acres are being nominated for the register. Nine buildings on the site
contribute to its historic status, including a smokehouse and a detached
kitchen, both built of logs in the 1860s. The owner is Susan IJames
THE ELMS, also known as the BARRET-KEACH FARM, contains
both Federal and Italianate architectural features. The house was built
in 1852 by Judge Thomas TOWLES, although the following year it
was acquired by his daughter and her husband, William and Elizabeth
BARRET. The farm originally included Lots 44 and 45 of the original
Transylvania Co. land grant. it is currently owned by Alice Lee KEACH.
The farm includes about 600 acres, but only 165 acres are being nominated.
The nomination includes nine historic structures. One of them is a brick
smokehouse built in 1852.