Henderson County, Kentucky Community
The town is named for Charles Hebard who, in very early days, owned and operated a blacksmith shop. One of the earliest settlers was Craven Boswell who bought 10,000 acres at $1.50 per acre and moved his family there about 1807, coming over Cumberland Gap in ox-drawn wagons. The first year he built log cabins for himself and slaves, but the next year he put up a brick residence, part of which still stands. Virgin timber was used for framing; bricks were made on the place and bound together with mortar containing hog's hair for strength.
Craven gave away much of his land, to induce immigration and divided the rest among eight children. By the time of the Civil War, his son, William, who inherited the house, had only 450 acres left. (Previously, William's wife had given one plot for a Cumberland Presbyterian church.)
George McCormick built one of the county's first undershot mills on Lick Creek in 1808 or 1809, and used it for both grain and lumber. In 1830 McCormick sold the mill to Philip VanBussum who operated it a few years and sold to Richard Hazelwood.
In 1880 Starling shows quite a few merchants in Hebbardsville. Also at that time, George Negley had a coal mine and mines continued to operate in the vicinity until the 1970s. A post office was opened in 1840 and continued in service until 1973 when Mrs. Pruitt (Frances) Priest was retired as postmistress.
Hebbardsville had the first high school in the county to offer vocational agriculture through the Smith-Hughes act, and kept a full 12-grade school until Henderson County High was built. The 6-grade school is now outside of the village, but serves this vicinity.