Henderson County, Kentucky Community


Bluff City had some homes and businesses before 1872, when the post office was opened on July 10th, with James R. Ronton as postmaster. The oldest inhabitants remember when the village had a coal mine, the Hayes General Store, a two-room school, a sawmill and a ferry.

The post office was closed in 1909 when Hebbardsville established a rural route. The school was also consolidated with Hebbardsville, but the town was still strong enough, in 1937, to act as a refugee center, in spite of being isolated from the outside world.

The Dupay Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1888 and the Fairview General Baptist Church followed some 40 years later. Both are still active congregations.

from The Annals and Scandals of Henderson County, Ky.
By Maralea Arnett

Contributed by Leigh Ann Boucher, HCH&GS
Copyright 2002 HCH&GS